This time its directly from the mouths at MS.
The Gamerscore Blog would like to congratulate Rockstar on the launch of Grand Theft Auto IV. GTA sold over 6 million units, and broke the entertainment record with over $500 million in sales.
We got some data from the US team, and we’re here to share that news with you:
* Actual MS sales data from last week shows Xbox 360 console sales at retail went up 54% week-over-week as a result of GTA’s success
* According to retailers more than 60% of all GTA games sold in the first week were the Xbox 360 version
* Retailers are telling us that the game is attaching strongly to new console sales, with roughly 40% of new consoles selling with a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV
Regarding Xbox LIVE:
* In the first week, more than 2.3 million people played Grand Theft Auto IV on Xbox LIVE
* GTA IV is now the number one played game on Xbox LIVE
* Over the weekend, we saw the Xbox LIVE service reach 1 million concurrent users
* Gamers have unlocked more than 12 million achievements worth over 100 million gamerscore points in GTA
* Grand Theft Auto IV set a new record for time played, with the average gamer spending more than four hours playing the game on LIVE in the first week alone
This is another showing of what a great game with great PR can do.