By Jason Wadsworth
Rumors have been circulating ever since screen shots of new Gears of War 2 game add-ons started appearing a few weeks ago. Finally, Epic Games and Microsoft have revealed that the mysterious “Dark Corners” content is in fact part of the now officially announced “All Fronts Collection”.
This collections will include the aforementioned “Dark Corners” content which consists of 7 new multiplayer maps, and the deleted campaign chapter “Road to Ruin” in which Marcus and Dom return to the Locust Hollow. “Road to Ruin” will have an introduction from Gears face-man, Cliff Bleszinski, and will allow players to play the chapter in a traditional run-and-gun style or in a new stealth mode.
Don’t count on having the “All Fronts Collection” show up in your download queue though, because it will only at retail. The package will retail for $19.99 (USD) and will also include every Gears of War 2 game add-on released to date (meaning the Flashback, Combustible, and Snowblind map packs), a custom Xbox LIVE theme, a poster, and a strategy guide. The collection will hit stores on July 28th of this year.
Hit the jump for more details on the “Dark Corners” Multiplayer maps.
“Dark Corners” will include the following multiplayer maps:
- Allfathers Garden: Honor the sacred grounds of the Coalition founders in this explosive map, where powerful weapons catalyze fast and furious action at this COG landmark.
- Memorial: Set near the Eternal Flame, which pays tribute to the fallen soldiers on the battlefield, a hard-fought battle ensues at the Tomb of Unknowns. Putting their flank formation and evasive skills to the test, players will fight to control the Boomshot.
- Sanctuary: Once a peaceful ground for reflection and remembrance, all that remains of the Sanctuary is the chill of death. Feast your eyes on the arsenal of weapons available as you make your way through the tight paths and blind corners of the Locust-damaged temple corridors.
- War Machine: In the abandoned train station that once served as a hub for travel, players will need to master the Longshot, Mulcher and Boomshot weapons to advance the fight while evading fire from the platforms above.
- Highway: Take the fight deep into the Locust Hollow in the complex passages of this underground highway system brimming with enemy vermin. Stick together, separate the enemy and have an exit strategy ready or it’ll be a one-way trip.
- Way Station: Sitting in limbo between death and “processing” are Locust way stations filled with fallen COG soldiers. Tread lightly and practice patience as it’s better to sacrifice firepower for stealth while navigating this minefield of hidden grenades.
- Nowhere: Set in the middle of what was once a destination for weary desert travellers, the land is now barren and devoid of life. Pick off your enemies with the Longshot sniper rifle and make your way to the stairwell with a well-fortified team during this intense firefight.