I hope that your summer is going well and you are enjoying your sunny vacations on the beach, tanning by the pool, or in the fine air conditioning of your own home. Perhaps you are reading one of the books I suggested last time? I just had to ask.
Now, there are some obvious ones…..Star Trek movies, Star Wars movies, Monty Python movies, and they are all great and I will probably discuss each and their influence at a later time, as I already have with Star Trek. I’m going to stick with some lesser-known stuff.
Inevitably, there is going to be some bad weather during the summer. Perhaps it’s raining and you are feeling depressed because your barbecue was cancelled. May I suggest one of the geeky movies below? Some are funny, some are cool, and others are just in a class of their own. Here are five that I recommend.
- TRON: This is the first geek movie that actually hooked me. I know it’s old (1982), but it is groundbreaking because it was one of the first movies to use a lot of computer graphics. It’s got a really good story, too. Besides that, it has spawned a few video games and there are rumors of a sequel coming in 2011.
- The Fifth Element: To me, this is just a good all-round fun sci-fi romp. I love that it’s a colorful science-fiction movie with a ridiculous villain played. What I don’t like is Chris Tucker’s big-mouthed character. Oh, and Leelo Dallas Mul-ti-pass.
- Unbreakable: Surprisingly, this is what I think is M. Night Shyamalan’s best movie. I know, it’s another Bruce Willis movie, but I really enjoyed this one. Besides Shyamalan’s usual twists, there’s a theme with comic books, and there are some of us geeks out there who just happen to love them.
- Futurama: Bender’s Big Score: This is the first and the best of the four full-length straight-to-DVD Futurama movies that were recently released. It fits perfectly with Futurama canon, has one of the most complex and well-written stories for a cartoon movie that I can think of. The other three Futurama movies are so-so, but the successes of all three have reaped some fantastic rewards. Comedy Central will be picking up the show for 26 new episodes!
- The Blues Brothers: Yeah, there is really nothing geeky about this movie, but it is MY all-time favorite movie, so HA, it gets on the list. My own childish pettiness aside, I believe there are fellow geeks out there would enjoy it. It has some awesome music, and features two great comedians.
I hope this short list gives you something new to watch beyond the normal geek movie fare. The oldies are goodies, I will admit, but there is a ton of great stuff out there. Got any other good movie suggestion? Leave a comment and discuss!