Any PC RPG fan who are (im)patiently waiting for Diablo 3 could do themselves a favor and jump over to Steam this weekend and purchase Torchlight which is on sale for 50% off. That means the game is on sale for only $10 for those in the US, €8 for Europe and £7.50 for UK gamers.
Torchlight has been well received by the gaming world and at the time of writing has a Metacritic score of 84/100. Platform Nations very own NerdyGonzo gave Torchlight a very favorable review on 27th October too. Torchlight has also just received an update to add achievements and Steam Cloud support. Try the demo and if you like it, you can upgrade and carry on with the character you were playing.
About the Game
Behold Torchlight, a fresh new Action RPG franchise developed by Runic Games. Torchlight is being developed in Seattle by a veteran team composed of the designers and leads of projects like Diablo, Diablo II, Mythos, and Fate. Our team has spent many years honing and evolving this unique style of gameplay.
The adventure is set in the mining settlement of Torchlight, a boomtown founded on the discovery of rich veins of Ember – a rare and mysterious ore with the power to enchant or corrupt all that it contacts. This corruptive power may have dire consequences however, and players set out into the nearby mountains and depths below to discover the full extent of Ember’s influence on the civilizations that have come before.
Runic Games will initially release Torchlight as a standalone Single Player game, Torchlight will be released in the latter part of 2009 as a download or in box. Following the single player release, work will commence on a fully-featured MMO version.
Single Player Version
Players will choose from among three character classes, and venture from the safety of the town of Torchlight into randomly generated dungeon levels, with a huge variety of creepy monsters, endless variations of loot to find, and quests to complete. The endless randomization ensures a long-lived gameplay experience.
- Randomization – Our level layouts are randomly created, so each adventure is unique. Monsters, treasures, puzzles, and items are also different each time you embark on an adventure
- Easy, approachable interface – Torchlight is designed to be easy to play right from the beginning. The intuitive interface gives players easy access to a rich and varied world
- Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks to new characters
- Pets – Players will choose a pet to accompany them. Pets can level up along with the player, and will help in battle, carry items, and perform a variety of helpful services
- Character Classes – Players will create and customize a character from one of three classes available, and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character will be custom-tailored and different
- Fishing – Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to visit one of the fishing holes and relax and see what they can catch. Fish have interesting benefits for the player and pet, and other rewards can also be discovered
- Included Editor – Runic Games is embracing our modding community by including an editor so our players can create and design their own content
- OS: Windows XP or later
- Processor: x86-compatible 800MHz processor
- Memory: 512MB
- Graphics: DirectX-compatible 3D graphics with at least 64MB of addressable memory (such as an ATI Radeon 7200, NVIDIA GeForce 2, or Intel GMA 950)
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 400MB