by John Catuira
Announced at Microsoft’s conference at CES last night, the Game Room is a virtual space where players can relive their retro arcade memories on Xbox 360 on Xbox LIVE or in Games for Windows LIVE on any Windows-based PC.
Developed by Krome Studios who gave us Viva Piñata: Party Animals and Star Wars: Republic Heroes, Game Room will be free for users to download. However, no pricing was given for any customization options. At launch, the service will include 30 original arcade titles from publishers such as Atari, Activision, Intellivision, and Konami.
- Customizable arcade-like space using your Xbox LIVE avatar
- Customizable arcade cabinets
- Classic arcade games
- Games will also be cross-platform on PC as well as Xbox
- The ability to invite friends to your arcade to play 1-on-1 matches
- Cross-platform leaderboards and achievements
In terms of pricing, there will be three options for the games:
- 400 points for a game that’s playable on both Xbox 360 and PC
- 240 points for a game playbable on only one platform, Xbox 360 or PC
- 40 points is pay per play to emulate real-life arcade play in days of yore
On the surface, this looks to be a neat little feature. So start saving up those Microsoft space bucks for Game Room launch this Spring.