NBA Jam has had a storied past in it’s current incarnation. What was going to be a Wii-only retail title coupled with Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 downloads instead hit all three consoles on disc, in part thanks to the cancellation of NBA Elite 11. It looks like EA Sports is going back to digital copies of the game, releasing a new iteration on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network to join the iOS version on the digital scene. NBA Jam: On Fire Edition will release in October.
NBA JAM: On Fire Edition contains new gameplay features including:
• REAL AI: Featuring the ground-breaking AI system used in the Fight Night franchise that learns your tendencies and throws them back in your face.
• JAM Arena– Play solo, or team up with friends and take on the world in a new, dynamic online competition.
• Road Trip – A cooperative online campaign where you can team up with friends and compete in a series of white-knuckle challenges against the current superstars and timeless legends from each of the 30 NBA Teams.
• Tag Mode and Team Fire return! – Swap players “on the fly” and ignite your entire team by performing consecutive cooperative moves!
• More NBA JAM Hotness – Online roster updates, more NBA superstars, legendary NBA players, over-the-top animations, JAM challenges, secret teams and unlockable characters than ever before!
Additionally, EA Sports mentions that they’re working on the next “simulation” NBA title. No word if it’ll be a retooled NBA Elite or a return to NBA Live.
“As planned, our next NBA simulation title is in development at our Tiburon Studio in Orlando,” said Peter Moore, President, EA SPORTS. “We have top talent on the game, and we’re giving the new development team time to deliver a superior experience. We’re making great strides and looking forward to launching a new game next year.”
NBA Jam was a welcome return for gamers looking for more arcade-styled gameplay out of their sports games. I picked it up at launch, despite having no interest in real sports.
Via EA Sports.