Click the link above to enjoy my YouTube debut as I explain How Angry Birds Is Destroying The World!
For anyone interested, the math breakdown:
1. The iPhone 3GS consumes 4 Watts when charging. A full charge requires 3 hours = 12 Watt*hours.
2. At best guess, there have been 100 million downloads of Angry Birds. I’ll attribute 3 hours of playtime to each download = 300 million hours played.
3. Since the playtime equals a full charge, 100 million full charges have been used for the sole purpose of playing Angry Birds.
4. 100 million full charges * 12 Watt*hours = 1.2 million kilowatt*hours (kWh).
5. 1 kilogram of coal = 2 kWh, so 600,000 kg of coal consumed so power Angry Birds.
6. 1 kWh = 2 lbs CO2 produced, so 2,400,000 pounds of CO2 produced. A carbon offset company would charge $30-$50k to offset this.