For those L.A. Noire players out there we have some news that will help you with the freezing issues you may be having while playing L.A. Noire. First off is you are playing L.A. Noire on the PlayStation 3 and the game has froze it is not due to the PS3 system update 3.61 that was stated by Rockstar (and has been retracted by Rockstar). This looks like the problem people are having with L.A. Noire is not just for the PS3 as Xbox 360 users have been affected as well. Here are some helpful hints that have been posted on Rockstar Support:
Here is what to do if you are crashing or freezing in L.A. Noire:
1. Delete your L.A. Noire Game Data (not save data) from the PS3 Game Data Utility. If on 360, clear the 360 cache.
2. Create a new temporary PS3 user to ensure that new save files are created. If on 360, create an offline Silver Gamertag.
3. Launch the game and try again. If you are on PS3, try playing while signed out of PSN.
4. Check your disc for scratches, dust, dirt, or other damage. Clean if necessary.
5. Check other game discs in your PS3/360 to see if issues are occurring in other games, suggesting a potential console problem.
6. Try your L.A. Noire disc in a different console or try a different L.A. Noire disc in your console to determine with certainty whether the issue could be with the disc or console, rather than the software.
If the issue is still happening, please click “Submit a Request” at the top of this page and provide as much detail as possible about what PS3/360 model you are playing on and what steps you follow in the game when it crashes. Let us know exactly what you see (e.g. freeze, black screen, return to system software, etc). and what you are doing in the game when the issue occurs.
Also, if you are on PS3 please move your L.A. Noire save files onto a USB drive and then transfer them to a PC. Compress the folder on the USB drive called “PS3” and attach that file. We will take a look at your save file to see if we can learn more about the issue and its resolution.
If your game has froze while playing L.A. Noire and any of the fixes that have been set forth by Rockstar worked, please come back and let the Platform Nation Community so we can help each other out.
Source Rockstar Support