It used to be that a beta test meant that developers would put out a game early and take lots of user information and feedback to tune and fix the game. Now beta is almost synonymous to demo, with changes rarely being made.
EA is changing that though. The recently released Battlefield 3 Open Beta had a large number of bugs, and EA is assuring us that they will be fixing as many of these problems as possible. A laundry list of problems will be fixed for the final version, including framerate issues, disappearing crosshairs, and crashes. Below is just a selection of all the changes, and more will be posted on the Battlelog in the News Section.
(Not a complete list – for up to date news, visit the News section in Battlelog)
* Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.
* Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.
* Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.
* Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.
* Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.
* A subtle low health screen effect has been added.
* Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.
* Tweaked the Rank progression.
* Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.
* Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.
* Framerate stability fixes.
* The 3D spotting icons has been tweaked to better match the target’s visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.
* Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.
* Non working options in squad menu fixed: “Private” flag and “Switch Teams”.
You can read Platform Nation writer Damian Doyley’s impressions of the beta here.