With the [somewhat] recent release of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, open world RPGs like last year’s Fallout: New Vegas are quickly becoming a thing of the past. That just isn’t going to fly with J.E. Sawyer.
Sawyer, the project director over at Obsidian, recently released his own “hardcore” PC mod for New Vegas. No Mutants Allowed reported this list of features found in said mod:
• Max level with all DLCs installed is 35.
• XP rate is halved.
• Base player health is quartered and level-gained health is reduced by 25%.
• Base Carry Weight from 150 to 50 (related perks/things have also been adjusted).
• Energy Weapon ammo weighs less than its nearest equivalent Guns ammo.
• Energy Weapon durability is in the same ballpark as Guns durability.
• Medium Armor has a small amount of DR proportional to its DT.
• Heavy Armor has even more DR proportional to its DT.
• Power Armor does not require a perk, but if you have the perk, the weight of the armor is essentially negated.
• Karma/Alignment values adjusted all over.
• H2O/FOD/SLP rates doubled, but the first threshold is moved from 200 to 400 (statuses roll over ever 150 after).
• Water and Food drop rates on NPCs is dramatically lower. It is difficult to stay out of Dehydration/Starvation by looting enemies.
• Water/Nuka-Cola/Sunset Sarsaparilla heal much less, but now all restore H2O (alcohols will as well, but at lowered values).
• Default Stimpaks are uncommon. A new variant, Stimpak, Expired is the default. It is not that great.
• The player’s Workbench recipe now makes Stimpak, Homemade. It is better than Expired, worse than default Stimpaks, and has the PE penalty from Healing Powder.
• All Stimpaks have weight.
• Pre-Order items have been adjusted to be more well-balanced and not worth that much if you rush to Chet’s to trade them in.
• A bunch of fixes I couldn’t make during development because of load order conflicts, time, etc. E.g.: Automatic Rifle spread re-adjustment, putting the Police Pistol on the Cowboy List, Bozar on Grunt, Junk Rounds are now actual ammo variants you can make, etc.
• Some other stuff.
The mod is available here, but keep in mind that all pieces of DLC are require to play.
If you have yet to play New Vegas, the Ultimate Edition (which includes all of the DLC) will be released for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC on February 7th.